Saturday, April 16, 2011

Light & Salt ??

Two months ago I returned to a work environment that I had not been a part of for 6 years.  I re-entered the world of a metal fabrication shop.  This job change was brought on by necessity and is not expected to last much longer, but during my time there I have had time to reflect on what it means to be salt and light in a lost and dying world.

I knew before returning to the shop that it would be a bit of a shock to me because it had been so long since I had listened to the steady diet of profanity, vulgarity, and general roughness that goes on in that sort of workplace.  However, as I have worked alongside these men who are lost and hurting I have become deeply ashamed of the witness that so many "Christians" that have come in contact with these men.  I have heard countless times, "if that is what it means to be a Christian, no thanks!", or some other variation of this statement.  Also, the word "hypocrite" has been used many times to describe believers who do not act in a Christ-like manner.

I have observed that much of this poor view of Christians is brought about by mistreatment at the hands of so-called believers.  How sad that the lost cannot say, "Wow, he treated me with compassion!  I see that Jesus has made a difference in my life."

This time has caused me to evaluate how I act and realize that I am being watched closely to see if I am just another "hypocrite".  Do I treat the "slow guy" in the shop with compassion?  Do I try to help him instead of joining in with the others in tearing him down?  Do I make sure that I always speak with openness and honesty?  Admittedly, I do not always hit the mark, but thankfully there is grace anew each day.

Pray for me that I might be salt and light, and that I might act with Christ's love.

No comments: