Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Honoring those in authority

I find these times to very challenging to me, not because of the “economic crisis” or because I am worried about my job or retirement account. Rather, I find it very difficult to see the direction that this country is taking, and at the same time “Submit myself for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men” (1 Peter 2:13). Now I have to put my money where my mouth is. During the past administration I often complained that I wished that instead of spewing hate-filled words against the leaders people would follow the Biblical mandate and pray for them. Now I find myself on the other side and it would be very easy to allow hate or anger to creep in when I see that the leaders are taking the country down a path toward increased immorality and death. I am challenged to pray for them that they could make wise decisions and that God could touch their hearts.
I am reminded again that I do not identify myself with an earthly kingdom (which rise and fall), but rather with a heavenly kingdom (which stands for eternity). When I dwell on these thoughts and promises I am able to be at peace in the midst of the troubles that surround us.

No comments: