Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pride and the Lord's Correction

Sundays are usually the busiest days for beggars coming to the door asking for food. This past Sunday was no different. In the morning one boy came and in the afternoon a boy of about 10 came with his 2 little sisters.

First they asked for food and I was able to give them some leftovers that we had sitting around. As it was raining and a bit chilly, they asked for t-shirts for each of them. And finally they asked for some toys for a little brother at home.

I asked them where they lived and the boy said they lived in a plastic house (which means a tiny shack covered with black plastic). I asked them where their parents were and he replied that they don't have a father and that their mother is sick and doesn't work.

After they left I was congratulating myself on my generosity and just I was to have given them all that stuff. Suddenly the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said, "But that gallo pinto (beans and rice) that you gave them was not what it could have been. You could have added that bit of cheese that you have. And the bread and cookies were old and you were not going to eat them anyhow. You were never going to wear those 2 t-shirts and the 2 of Zach's were his oldest, most worn t-shirts. The toys were not very nice that you gave. How are you any different than Cain; who did not give an offering that was pleasing to God?"

My self-satisfaction was quickly revealed for what it was, pride rearing it's ugly head. It made me think how much I am like the rich Pharisees who want all to see them put their huge offering in the offering plate.

I thank God that He does not miss an opportunity to teach me more about myself. I am also thankful that He is slow to anger and abounding in love and grace.

No comments: